Look Up

Lately I've been taking some things for granted.
Some of those things I'm okay with as I'm doing some soul searching.
The others, I'm feeling a bit of regret. Mostly the simple things.

There's a song that I could listen to on repeat.
And quite frankly, I HAVE.
"Alone With Me" by: Vance Joy.

This song was inspired by a memory of he and his mother spending time together, walking through town together... She would always tell him to "look up".
"Look up, you might see something you've not seen before".
As he reflected on that he remembers that every time she said that he would always see something new.
Even if it was a street he walked every single day.

I've been doing some serious work on myself.
Who I am as a wife, a mother, a friend and as a daughter.
But the one true discovery I've made is I really don't know who I am as...ME
Aside from all those other roles I play and take part in, I have NO idea who I am or who I want to be.

This Vance Joy song is one of the many things that pulled at my heart bringing clarity to many things in my life that I didn't even realize played a role in my story.

"Look Up".

Be present in any moment. Good or bad. Look up because even if you've been there before, you might see something you've not seen before.

My eyes have been open.
Open for answers, for reflection, for purpose, for anything that helps me grow. Even if through growth means walking through mud.

There's a road that stretches between Indianapolis, zig zags through Martinsville and leads you to Bloomington.
This road held two pieces of my heart.
One piece in Indianapolis with my mom and one in Bloomington with my dad.

The in-between is where the process of healing takes place.

Recently, I decided to Look Up and what I found was that I was on the in-between road that once carried my heart.

This is what I saw.



A barn.

What caught me off guard is that this barn was what found me.

I've driven past this barn for the past 30 years marking the amount of time that my parents ended their marriage.
This little white barn was the half way point.


But when I decided to Look up, this barn showed me so much more.


It wasn't until recently that I even realized how special this barn was to me because through all the back and forth, the people pleasing, the feeling torn, the guilt, the confusion, the love, the unknown...it was no longer just the halfway point.

Watching the seasons change as the landscape to this simple white barn, I found healing.

This barn is so much of my journey back and forth and no matter what I was feeling on the in-between road, the barn was always there watching over me and reminding me that all the parts of life really are a blessing.
For so many years, I've taken this little barn for granted as a part of my story.
It's hard to explain what it means to me other than it was a constant and still is as I pass it regularly.

It's comfort and it reminded me of the feeling of home when I didn't know what home was anymore. It sort of watched over me through the tough and through the mud of my young life.

Look up. Even if you're on the road in-between. The road you've traveled on hundreds of times. The simple can sometimes turn into clarity and healing.
As I'm on this journey of figuring out who Jen Mobley is, I will carefully observe the simple.
Because in the simple is so much more and I am certain as I write my story there will be clarity.
Even if it shows itself in a small white barn in Martinsville, IN.

"Alone With Me" Vance Joy
https://youtu.be/g1GBm3bIdsY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

update...

numbers: 34 and 2 going on 12

One more makes a family of four!